Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Received rump steak instead of chuck - what to do?

I was planning on making my mom's boeuf bourguignon for dinner tonight. I always use chuck, and I don't think that the version I know works well with a leaner meat. The problem is, I am currently living in Geneva, Switzerland and speak almost no French. So when I went to the meat counter at the supermarket, I said something to the effect of, "I search for beef for bourguignon. I do not know chuck in French" and then nodded as the woman spoke to me very rapidly and cut off... something. Which I now realize is rump steak. I have the usual ingredients for bourguignon - onions, mushrooms, garlic, red wine, stock. Thoughts on how to modify?

asked by LucyS over 4 years ago
Edfe409e 4744 406a 98e8 9c239638ad31  img 1965

To add to the problem, I just realized she also cut it into cubes! Thoughts?

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Beef B is forgiving. Just simmer it until it is tender. I prefer to do it in the oven.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

You might expect the rump to be a bit tougher but it should still work.