🔕 🔔

how do I make a regular pea puree without it being super starchy

asked by brandon over 6 years ago

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I would cook the peas in lots of salted boiling water until just tender. Immediately put them in a ice bath to keep them green. Rather than putting them through a blender or food processor, I would puree them with an old fashioned food mill. If you don't have a fine blade, you could then press through a fine sieve or China cap.

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I've found that it sometimes helps to add a little cream. It (obviously) thins the puree a bit and cuts the starch factor.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Frozen sweet or petite peas are much less starchy than "fresh" peas that are not perfectly fresh.