pea puree

When I make a pea puree, I am never able to get a smooth texture, but instead feel the skins of the peas, which never seem to get fully broken down. (I'm usually using frozen peas that have been defrosted). Am I not using enough oil? Is the food processor (mini cuisinart, usually) to blame?

• Posted by: ATG117
  • August 14, 2014

Meaghan F
Meaghan F August 14, 2014

Have you tried passing the purée through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer?

ATG117
ATG117 August 15, 2014

I feel like its generally too thick for that to be an option. It also seems to me like others get it smooth without that step.

lem monade
lem monade August 15, 2014

At least in my experience (in Germany and Austria), there a huge quality differences in frozen peas, which affects their texture: if they are harvested a little later, peas are not only bigger (ie higher yields) but also tend get a bit mealy and have tougher skins. how are your peas before you puree them? if they are not tiny, sweet and tender, maybe try another brand.

Or, if you have an old-fashioned food mill, just use that instead: it will sieve out any tougher skins and leave you with a perfectly smooth puree every time.

Michael Ruhlman
Michael Ruhlman August 15, 2014

Food processor not as good as a really strong blender. Also you can pass the processed peas through a tamis or chinois for a super smooth puree.

ATG117
ATG117 August 15, 2014

Wow, honored. Thank you!

ATG117
ATG117 August 15, 2014

Wow, honored. Thank you!

aargersi August 15, 2014

I have a mini and a full size processor and I find that the mini (which I love for small jobs) does NOT get the smooth texture in foods that its big brother does - it just doesn't have the power (or I think the speed) - I would try a big guy or a blender, I have had success with both (but I prefer the processor)

ATG117
ATG117 August 15, 2014

Thanks!