Meaghan F

Have you tried passing the purée through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer?

ATG117

I feel like its generally too thick for that to be an option. It also seems to me like others get it smooth without that step.

lem monade

At least in my experience (in Germany and Austria), there a huge quality differences in frozen peas, which affects their texture: if they are harvested a little later, peas are not only bigger (ie higher yields) but also tend get a bit mealy and have tougher skins. how are your peas before you puree them? if they are not tiny, sweet and tender, maybe try another brand.

Or, if you have an old-fashioned food mill, just use that instead: it will sieve out any tougher skins and leave you with a perfectly smooth puree every time.

Michael Ruhlman
Michael Ruhlman

Michael is a food critic and established cookbook author -- Ruhlman's Twenty and Egg: A Culinary Exploration are the most recent additions to his vast body of work.

Food processor not as good as a really strong blender. Also you can pass the processed peas through a tamis or chinois for a super smooth puree.

ATG117

Wow, honored. Thank you!

ATG117

Wow, honored. Thank you!

I have a mini and a full size processor and I find that the mini (which I love for small jobs) does NOT get the smooth texture in foods that its big brother does - it just doesn't have the power (or I think the speed) - I would try a big guy or a blender, I have had success with both (but I prefer the processor)

ATG117

Thanks!