🔕 🔔

Is there any reason not to sweat an onion before adding the other ingredients in a chutney recipe that will be canned? I can always taste -- and don't care for -- the hard edge of onion cooked in a sauce without sweating the onion first, but am worried about adverse consequences affecting shelf stability, if the chutney is processed. I can't imagine that there would be a problem, but would like others' views on this. Thank you. ;o)

asked about 7 years ago

There's absolutely no reason not to precook the onion if you think it will taste better.