Red onion or shallot condiment / chutney

Does anyone have a preferred recipe for a red onion or shallot condiment/chutney? And something a little spicy, maybe from Indian cuisine, would be interesting. Looking for a chunky, savory accompaniment to go with a spiral-cut ham for a brunch. I already have the sweet ones: the traditional honey mustard and a balsamic cherries chutney. Thank you!

asked almost 4 years ago

For spicy, try harissa (North Africa and middle-eastern pepper sauce), in either red or green versions. Or zhug (zhoug, etc many spellings), a Yemenite hot sauce, also make-able in red or green version. For seasonal and rich/spicy Winter Chutney from Chef Allen Susser of Miami (with apricot cranberry pear and mango). Last, I've seen but not yet tried L. V. Anderson's apple-onion chutney (Slate magazine).

Thank you!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Andrea Nguyen has a nice looking recipe for pickled shallots in her banh mi cookbook. Looks like it brings a similar sharp counterpoint to Vietnamese cold cuts. You can also salt sliced red onions with a bit of vinegar. Add finely chopped parsley (a tiny bit) and you have a seasonally colored dish. The salt and vinegar softens the flavor of the onion.