Where do you get slavery-free shrimp?

I haven't bought shrimp since I read about the prevalence of slavery- and even child slavery- in the Thai shrimp industry. It just breaks my heart, and Thai shrimp is so common in stores that I've just stopped looking.

So many quick, company-appropriate meals call for shrimp, and I'd like to have the option again.

Do you have a source for ethically harvested and processed shrimp? Not just sustainable- although obv. that too- but specifically slavery-free. What about U.S. producers? What other countries have reliably good labor practices in their shrimping and fishing industries? I know lots of you are probably way ahead of me on this issue.

asked by MrsMehitabel about 2 months ago

C Sangueza
added about 2 months ago

I live in a coastal state and we get local shrimp at our fishmonger's. Look in the fresh fish case at your grocery and see if they have any US harvested shrimp.

MrsMehitabel
added about 2 months ago

Thank you, C. Sangueza! I guess buying local, or at least American, really is the best option.

I live in a rural, landlocked area where beef is much more popular than seafood, so there are basically just frozen shrimp to choose from. But I don't buy those anyway, so I'll just wait for shopping trips to the city and look for them then.

Thank you again!