🔕 🔔

Can I freeze diced fresh shallots?

I have a sudden abundance of them, and at the (hopefully) tail end of winter in Montana, they are just too much of a treasure to let go to waste, as I really can't use them all up right away. I know, it's all a science experiment, but I thought I'd ask before I rush to the freezer. Thank you!

asked almost 7 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I think it should work. I've done it with onions before with good success.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

They will be mushy when defrosted, but the flavor will remain.

Thanks so much! I'll take my chances.

Or, you could peel them and hold them in a jar of white vinegar with pepper corns in the refrigerator. The vinegar will pick up some nice shallot flavor for salads. Which ever method you use they are not going to keep forever.