Can I freeze diced fresh shallots?

I have a sudden abundance of them, and at the (hopefully) tail end of winter in Montana, they are just too much of a treasure to let go to waste, as I really can't use them all up right away. I know, it's all a science experiment, but I thought I'd ask before I rush to the freezer. Thank you!

asked almost 8 years ago

I think it should work. I've done it with onions before with good success.

TiggyBee

They will be mushy when defrosted, but the flavor will remain.

Thanks so much! I'll take my chances.

Or, you could peel them and hold them in a jar of white vinegar with pepper corns in the refrigerator. The vinegar will pick up some nice shallot flavor for salads. Which ever method you use they are not going to keep forever.