A question about a recipe: Spatchcocked, Braise-Roasted Turkey With Herb Butter

2339a3a3 e8d8 4de4 8ca8 a78c3b82c4ae  2015 1022 spatchcock and braise roasted herb butter turkey 050 james ransom

I have a question about the recipe "Spatchcocked, Braise-Roasted Turkey With Herb Butter" from Cristina Sciarra. If I am wet brining the turkey, should I adjust the salt levels at all or just proceed with the recipe?

asked by Jessica 24 days ago

Brinda Ayer

Hi Jessica,

You'll definitely want to adjust the salt levels for a wet brine vs. a dry brine. For a wet brine, you'll want to use a ratio of 1 gallon of water to 10 ounces of kosher salt. Scale up as needed so you can completely submerge the turkey in this solution, then refrigerate for 24 hours. (If you’re in a hurry, you can increase the saltiness and brine for less time.)

For this recipe in particular, I'd skip the dry-brining portion of step 1, so you can wet bring instead, but proceed from step 2 onward as written.

Brinda Ayer

Sorry, Jessica, one thing I forgot to add: when you're done wet brining, be sure to dry the turkey very well after you remove it from your brine, before applying the herb butter and further refrigerating/roasting.

Jessica

Thank you so much! So I picked it up at the butcher wet brined already - so much proceed with adding the additional 1 TBS of salt with the herbs and butter and it should be good, right? Thanks!

Brinda Ayer

Ah, I see! Thanks for clarifying, Jessica. I might actually work with just the butter and herbs in this case, and forego the salt—since you don't know how much your butcher used in the wet-brining process, it's better to err on the side of making sure your bird isn't over-salted.

Jessica

Thanks so much for the response! :)