Smoked turkey

My husband is smoking a turkey Wednesday night. It should be done smoking around midnight. We are going to his cousin’s around noon and eating at one. How should we keep the turkey for the most optimal eating the ‘next day’? We were thinking of cutting up beforehand for ease of transport.

asked by Cat 28 days ago

Brinda Ayer

Hi Cat, after you finish smoking the turkey, tent some aluminum foil over it and let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes. You can choose to carve it then itself, for ease of transport, then putting the carved pieces on a platter, covering them completely with foil or plastic wrap, or transferring them to a covered container. Whether using a platter or covered container, put the carved turkey in the refrigerator to store overnight (you'll want to make sure the turkey isn't left out after cooking for any more than two hours before refrigerating). The next day, you may want to reheat the carved pieces in a roasting pan in the oven before you eat.

You could also store/refrigerate the whole, uncarved turkey after smoking. In this case, I'd just place it in a large roasting pan and cover tightly and carefully with foil. Then, you can take the whole turkey in the roasting pan to your husband's cousin's house the next day, and reheat/carve/serve as needed.

Hope this helps. Happy Thanksgiving!

Cat
Cat

Thanks!!!