stock out of smoked turkey

We received a smoked turkey from someone my husband works with and I'm wondering if I can make a stock out of the carcass or will it taste funny?

• Posted by: ktr
  • January 13, 2015

Susan W January 13, 2015

Definitely give it a try. It may be a stock you only use for certain things. Also...how smokey do the bones get?

Voted the Best Reply!

boulangere January 13, 2015

You certainly can, and it will taste - and smell - amazing! Cut a couple of onions (no need to peel them) in half through the middle. Brush the cut sides with olive oil. Roast them in a skillet until decently charred, about 10-15 minutes. Peel some carrots and cut them into 1" segments. Cut some celery into 1" pieces. Tie up a bunch of Italian parsley with some string, along with a handful of fresh thyme sprigs. Add everything along with your turkey carcass to a stock pot and fill it to cover by 3" with cold water. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Remove the lid, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the stock reaches a flavor concentration that your taste buds tell you is just right. I am so envious of you.

Forrest Sontag
Forrest Sontag January 14, 2015

And then salt it to taste if you want to have turkey broth.

jeinde
jeinde January 13, 2015

Oh Yes! We do smoked turkey every Christmas and it makes wonderful stock, though I am lazier than Boulangere and just throw the raw veggies into the water. Makes a wonderful bean soup for my daughter who doesn't eat Ham ( so can't make a traditional bean soup with ham hock).

Susan W January 13, 2015

I actually did an experiment and cooked two stocks. One with roasted veggies and one with raw, chopped up veggies. Absolutely no difference. You aren't lazy, you are smart. :)

ktr
ktr January 13, 2015

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad to hear out should work just fine because I hate wasting food.

Nancy January 14, 2015

Sounds delicious! I bet this stock would also work well in a split pea soup.

HalfPint January 14, 2015

I've made stock out of smoked turkey and then used it to make gumbo. It was delicious.

Susan W January 14, 2015

I want your stock to cook my beans. Yum!!

AntoniaJames January 14, 2015

Me, too, Susan W!
I use smoked turkey for anything in which I'd use a ham shank or ham hock. The stock will be wonderful - so flavorful and tasty, and perfect for any bean soup or stew. I'd use it to make cassoulet! ;o)

ktr
ktr January 14, 2015

That sounds like a great idea!

AntoniaJames January 14, 2015

Incidentally, I use smoked turkey as a key ingredient in my cassoulet: https://food52.com/recipes... This discussion -- especially as I sit here in my chilly office -- makes me want to get some smoked turkey and make a pot of it posthaste! ;o)

Susan W January 15, 2015

AJ, my daughter is coming for a visit from out of state next month. Your cassoulet sounds like a perfect first dinner. Can you suggest a nice red wine to pair with it?