stock out of smoked turkey

We received a smoked turkey from someone my husband works with and I'm wondering if I can make a stock out of the carcass or will it taste funny?

asked by ktr almost 4 years ago

Definitely give it a try. It may be a stock you only use for certain things. Also...how smokey do the bones get?

jeinde

Oh Yes! We do smoked turkey every Christmas and it makes wonderful stock, though I am lazier than Boulangere and just throw the raw veggies into the water. Makes a wonderful bean soup for my daughter who doesn't eat Ham ( so can't make a traditional bean soup with ham hock).

I actually did an experiment and cooked two stocks. One with roasted veggies and one with raw, chopped up veggies. Absolutely no difference. You aren't lazy, you are smart. :)

ktr
ktr

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad to hear out should work just fine because I hate wasting food.

Sounds delicious! I bet this stock would also work well in a split pea soup.

I've made stock out of smoked turkey and then used it to make gumbo. It was delicious.

I want your stock to cook my beans. Yum!!

Me, too, Susan W!
I use smoked turkey for anything in which I'd use a ham shank or ham hock. The stock will be wonderful - so flavorful and tasty, and perfect for any bean soup or stew. I'd use it to make cassoulet! ;o)

ktr
ktr

That sounds like a great idea!

Incidentally, I use smoked turkey as a key ingredient in my cassoulet: https://food52.com/recipes... This discussion -- especially as I sit here in my chilly office -- makes me want to get some smoked turkey and make a pot of it posthaste! ;o)

AJ, my daughter is coming for a visit from out of state next month. Your cassoulet sounds like a perfect first dinner. Can you suggest a nice red wine to pair with it?