How to use home-canned apple pie filling

I canned apple pie filling but did not use thickener. (It was suggested that thickeners could cause problems) Now I'm not sure what to do with all the liquid (sweetened and spiced). Do I heat it with a thickener or just add thickener to cold liquid? How much should be poured over apples? Recipes seem to suggest using 2 quarts for 9" pie, jar probably holds 1 cup liquid per quart.

asked by Lynda Paz y Mino 20 days ago

Suzanne D'Amato
Suzanne D'Amato

Suzanne is the Editor-in-Chief of Food52.

I asked one of our recipe developers, Emma Laperruque, this question. She says: "The safest route would be to strain the filling so the apples and liquid are separate, then add some cornstarch or flour to the apples. Then you can add liquid in as needed to thicken." Hope this helps!

Suzanne D'Amato
Suzanne D'Amato

Also, Emma says that heating is not necessary, assuming that when you were originally canning the filling, the apples cooked in the process. Heating a thickener is usually not necessary either way.

Lynda Paz y Mino

Thank you