How to make vanilla pudding into french vanilla?

I am making a recipe and its calling for French vanilla pudding. The market was out and only has vanilla. Will it make a huge difference. Is there something I can add to vanilla pudding to make it "French"?

asked by Kelly Blanken 25 days ago

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

Nooo, I think you're totally fine to use the regular vanilla pudding if it's just an ingredient in a larger recipe. May I ask, what's the recipe?

The difference between French Vanilla and regular vanilla ice cream is vanilla seeds, probably the same here; if you have a vanilla pod you could scrape in some seeds; vanilla paste would be a good choice if you were making it from scratch.

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

Ooh, that's a great suggestion.