The herb butter I made for my turkey is bitter. Rescue, use or toss?

asked by @bstnbxr 25 days ago

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

Hi there, what's the recipe? I always add sugar when something's bitter.

TD
TD

4 medium cloves garlic
1/4 cup chopped chives, parsley, sage, thyme
1 medium shallot
1 stick butter
S&P.
Combine everything in a processor and blitz. The butter is to be spread between turkey skin & breast and smearing over the outside before roasting.
I've doubled the recipe and don't have any backup so prefer not to toss.

Eric Kim
Eric Kim

Eric is the Senior Editor at Food52

Right. You know, I find that raw garlic and especially herbs like sage and thyme can be bitter on their own? I say go forth. Those ingredients will mellow out once cooked with the bird (that butter wasn't meant to be eaten raw anyway, you know?). Let me know how it goes. Happy Thanksgiving, Terene.

Sounds OK- also, if it's sat for any length of time the garlic can-uh- metamorphise a bit, but will tame down with cooking. People tend to forget that bitter is a perfectly good flavor element- peppers would be nowhere without it, to say nothing of coffee and chocolate.

ps- parsley that has bolted has a distinctly off flavor.

TD
TD

Thanks! I'll give it a go and report back. Happy Thanksgiving.