I recently got a slow cooker as a gift and have never used one before. Recipes? Or even better....vegetarian recipes?

• Posted by: LBurt
  • September 20, 2010

Yetiking
Yetiking September 20, 2010

Simple but GREAT - and vegetarian.

Tortilla Soup:
2 cans black beans
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 small can diced green chilies
1 cup whatever salsa you like
Stir together in the crock, cook on Low ~ 8 hours.

To serve, put blue corn tortilla chips in a bowl, ladle over soup, top with grated cheese of your choice (or crumbled cotija) and sour cream, maybe some green onions. Seriously good.

Amanda Hesser September 20, 2010

Not to blatantly promote recipes from the site but this oatmeal with almond butter and honey, done in a slow cooker, is out of this world: http://bit.ly/9EepWG

AntoniaJames September 21, 2010

Here's a chili-like main dish I often made for my kids when they were little and I was an insanely busy commercial litigator:
Dump into a crockpot that's on the "high" setting:
1 12-ounce container of fresh salsa (store-bought)
2 cans (total) of red and/or white kidney beans and/or black beans, rinsed
2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 tablespoon of chili powder (more or less, to taste)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
Stir well to mix in the tomato paste. Leave it on ''high'' for about 4 hours, then turn it down to low until you're ready to eat. About an hour before you plan to stop cooking the chili, squeeze the juice of a lime into it.Stir in 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (don't worry about getting a few small stems in it). Check for salt and correct if necessary. Add freshly grated black pepper to taste. Serve with freshly grated cheddar or jack, or with sour cream; accompany with rice, corn muffins or cornbread, or with good tortilla chips. (My sons used to eat this stuff dipping it onto large baked/low-salt chips, dispensing with spoons and forks.)

pierino September 21, 2010

I'm not offering a recipe but for meatarians, consider that you will need to brown meats before submitting them to the slow cooker; that goes for beef, pork or poultry or even sausage. Also, season those meat pieces well. Slow cookers are great up to a point but before you drop the stuff in you still need to do the prep. Now if you want to talk about red beans and rice or else feijoada...

LBurt
LBurt September 22, 2010

Thanks everyone! I'm planning on trying the soup & chili in the next week or two.

Amanda- I just had the oats for breakfast....fabulous! I was out of regular milk, so I used soy and then switched the honey for maple syrup and used the roasted cinnamon maple almond butter I made last week....YUM.

LBurt
LBurt September 22, 2010

And thanks for the tip about meat too! I'm sure I'll be cooking meat in there too, I just don't eat it very often at home.

Amanda Hesser October 4, 2010

LBurt -- sounds like a terrific variation. Glad you enjoyed it!