🔕 🔔

@Foodpickle what cream do I use for Gratin Duphanoise potatoes?

asked by @mariodc over 6 years ago

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

Sweet, heavy cream! (At least 42% fat, I'd say...)

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

You can actually use whole milk and still get nice results, because the starch in the potatoes thickens the liquid -- in fact, I find that cream alone can be a little heavy. I scald the milk, infuse it with a crushed garlic clove, and then pour it over thinly sliced, raw potatoes layered with cheese, salt and pepper -- cover and bake!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I usually use heavy cream and I don't cover. I guess the upshot is that you can do what you like. There's a huge range for success.

2458e6a2 8bc0 4127 ade7 7b4aeee937ac  dsc 0013

my friend from Lyon swears by heavy cream and every time I do it, I use heavy cream too. Its not on the light side, yes, but its not supposed to be diet food haha. I also find that lots and lots of fresh ground nutmeg give it that delicious french mountain feel.