Looking for ways to boost protein in kids' diet. Can I sub skim milk for half the liquid in a standard polenta recipe?

asked by cheese1227 over 7 years ago

I don't see why not. That blueberry almond polenta above uses ALL milk (and almond meal - another protein boost)!

cheese1227

I see too that the polenta cakes are a half whole milk and half water mixture. So I guess I am wondering about using skim milk.

i think skim would be fine. lighter - not too rich.

wssmom

About 35mg of protein is the "recommended" daily intake for kids under the age of 13, with a cup of milk providing 8g. Protein deficiency is not normally a concern in the western hemisphere, although nutritionists seem to agree there's no such thing as too much protein. How much protein were you aiming at per day?

innoabrd

When my wife was preggers I used to make her smoothies of cut-up frozen fruit, skim milk, skim milk powder and perhaps a bit of molasses. Loads of calcium and protein there and tasty!

There is such a thing as 'too much protein.' Our organs, particularly the kidneys, can't process unlimited amounts. Are the kids getting enough fruits and vegetables (which have small amounts of protein too)? Moderation and variety!

Had another thought while I was in the dairy aisle at the market...another way to boost protein is to add cottage cheese to fruit smoothies - it's high in protein, and lower in carbs than yogurt. Same goes for ricotta cheese.