🔕 🔔

@Foodpickle also, do you have any unique ideas for rhubarb that don't require a lot of other ingredients (i.e., sugar?)

asked by @SproutMom about 7 years ago

The problem is that rhubarb is extremely tart - sour, in other words - and needs some amount of sugar to soften the blow. Can you give us an idea of what you mean by not a lot of other ingredients? What do you usually like to make with it? How much of it do you have?

littleknitter

Well, I've had rhubarb compote (just sugar and orange juice) - it's great served over Greek yogurt and granola for breakfast. I've also eaten rhubarb fool which is super simple (rhubarb, sugar, orange juice and heavy cream). I once stayed with a family that was OBSESSED with rhubarb - they put it in everything. I'm not all that wild about it, but I was trying to be polite so I ate everything they gave me...and haven't touched the stuff since! Maybe I'll give it another chance :-)

littleknitter

Sorry, wasn't sure if you meant that sugar was one of the ingredients you did/did not want...if you don't want sugar, here's a recipe for rhubarb daal:
http://www.deshigrub.com...
I can't vouch for how tasty it is, but it certainly is unique!

adamnsvetcooking

Try honey or agave nectar...I remember reading a blog I am going to see if I can find it for you

Clues! Please! Honey and/or agave nectar aren't going to be any lower on the glycemic scale.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Raw vegan strawberry rhubarb tarts. They have zero sugar. Do you want me to post the recipe?

I really like rhubarb in savory applications. I may be more likely to use it for something sweet at breakfast or after dinner, but it pairs well with long-cooked pork and poultry. That's maybe not the direction you're taking, but if so, think about adding it to stews.

adamnsvetcooking

Agave's GI index is ~11-14...

stilltrying

try adding a pinch (just a pinch) of baking soda to the rhubarb for any recipe that does require sugar. This will neutralize some of the acidity and allow you to add less sugar. It foams up for a moment - let it sit and wait until it is done. This can be done with any tart fruit. I use this on blackberries from the freezer that I want to add to yogurt.

EatArt

Cut stalks into fine julienne, saute them briefly in butter (keep them a little crisp), deglaze pan with white wine and pour over sauteed fish fillets (any white-fleshed fish works great) or sea scallops. This can also work with chicken, pork, duck etc. I have a giant rhubarb patch with rhubarb coming out of my ears, so have developed tons of rhubarb ideas..... good thing I love the stuff! Enjoy!

SproutMom

Thank you so much. Would love the vegan strawberry rhubarb tarts. Rhubarb is one of the "fruits" that has a good anti-inflammatory property on the IF rating scale, but sugar does not. Also allergic to citrus, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla - all the things you'd add to it typically! Thanks for the great ideas.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

@SproutMom Darn! I just spent 30 minutes typing in the recipe and then hit one wrong key and went to another webpage without saving it. I promise to upload this week! :)