My chicken broth (for chicken noodle soup) is too spicy. What can I do?

I added a new seasoning blend that I didn’t realize had peppers. I have added a little butter and it helped a bit, but typically I don’t eat dairy so I don’t want to keep adding more. I also like by broth a little more condensed.

asked by Jes 9 days ago

Stephanie

I'm not sure if this will work but when a broth or soup gets too salty you can add a couple pieces of raw potato.

Jes
Jes

Stephanie, thank you that’s good to know. However, my issue is that it’s too spicy. Any advice?

MMH
MMH

If you don’t have to use it right away, I’d let it sit and see if it mellows.

Jes
Jes

Mmh, thanks so much! I let it sit in the fridge overnight and that worked!

MMH
MMH

Glad that it worked for you. I’ve been making it for years. Funny, I’m making it tonight. My 18 year old daughter has the stomach flu and to this day, she asks for my chicken broth with rice.

MMH
MMH

Jes- just to add, my crude method is that I spatchcock chickens when I roast them so I freeze the necks. When I have 2 or 3 or 4 and a few other parts I make stock on a Sat or Sun pm. It’s just easy an easy thing on a weekend.

Just a couple additional thoughts.
Yes, the addition of potato (or other starches) helps absorb or spread around some of the spiciness (as well as the saltiness Stephanie mentioned).
Another way to dilute the pepper is (if you have the ingredients, time & storage space) is to make another same-sized batch of the broth but totally WITHOUT pepper, then mix the two. If you do this, you may be able to get your typically more condensed texture you like, by cooking the larger double batch longer. But I would still taste as I cook, to make sure it doesn't get too concentrated again.
Or simply dilute with water each time you heat and serve.
Another approach is to NOT add pepper to anything else you would normally add to make the final soup...pasta, vegetables, more chicken.
Last, not for this batch but for futures, taste as you go to prevent or moderate a repeat of too-much-anything or too-little-anything as you cook...ingredients, heat, water, the cook all vary each time we go at a recipe.
Hope your batch is savable... please let us know what you do.

Jes
Jes

Nancy, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with me (I’m trying to teach myself home cooking from scratch to live a healthier lifestyle so any ideas/knowledge is welcome!) I will definitely apply this advice in the future. Thanks again!

Nancy harp
added about 24 hours ago

You could dilute your broth with some store bought vegetable or chicken stock.