Anyone had experience with a welbilt bread machine?

I got an awesome deal from Craigslist for an old unused welbilt bread machine. I went to meet the lady who was going to give it to me, and its HUGE, and pretty old looking, so I tried searching to see how it worked and there wasn't much online about them. Has anyone used one before?

happycao

Pam January 5, 2020
LOL, you asked "has anyone used one before". ANYONE? Well, surely SOMEONE has, probably many someones, but whether they are on THIS site, reading YOUR question is a big unknown.

This is now almost 9 years after your post so it's probably not useful to you, but maybe to someone else.

My WelBilt is about 25-30 years old. We used to use it all the time with great results, and recently I hauled it out after probably 10 years' storage and it's still as good as new. I developed (and can't find, darn it) my own tweaks for a multigrain (but not dark) bread, starting with a basic bread-flour recipe and then adding Toasted Wheat Germ, Oat Bran, and I don't remember what else.

I made that bread a few times a week, usually letting the machine make the dough, and then baking it in a pan.

Last week I wanted a pumpernickel bread, and the oven was already in use for a roast, a corn casserole, and crusty French Bread, so I gave the bread machine a try. Oh my goodness, that bread was so darn dark and strong, not good at all. Then I tried a recipe for "triple wheat bread" from the WelBilt booklet, and it was strong-tasting and awful. Plus, both of those breads hit our stomachs like bricks, and they were both concrete blocks after a day.

However, the machine had entertainment value - small grandsons and large son-in-law were fascinated, and I might get one for my son-in-law for his birthday or next Christmas.

So now I'm making a Multigrain bread for the bread machine, adapted from Betty Crocker. I used a higher ratio of white to whole wheat flour, and added oat bran, oatmeal, and toasted wheat germ. I'm optimistic!

And back to what I'm assuming was the point of the original question, yes, WilBilt made/makes good bread machines, dump in the ingredients press the button to select the type of bread you're making, and wait awhile.

happycao March 19, 2011
hmm I guess it wont be losing anything by getting one! thanks everyone

AntoniaJames March 18, 2011
If you're only using it for dough, by the way, you don't need to worry about special bread machine recipes. They seem to be very finely calibrated (although how they can be successful, given that ingredients are typically given in volume measures and not weight, I'll never know) because your hands never touch the dough, so you have no way of knowing whether the liquid / dry ingredients balance is right. Use it for dough and enjoy it. Check the dough periodically, scraping down the sides of the pan if necessary. If using whole grains or a significant amount of non-wheat flour, use the "pause" feature to let the dough rest for 10 to 12 minutes, once or twice, during the kneading cycle. I use a bread machine for dough frequently -- I don't have a stand mixer -- and love it. Julia Child liked using the dough cycle on her bread machine, too, by the way, for sandwich loaves. ;o)

susan G. March 17, 2011
We've had good results with a Welbilt, now maybe 8 years old. It makes the loaf in a bucket and has a blade up through the bottom of the bread, and we found it was hard to get the loaf out. My husband loved it and used it regularly, both for baking the loaf and, for pizza, making the dough. It's and excellent mixer and kneader, and the convenience is unbeatable. The only reason it's past tense is that he is now gluten free, not baking.

Sam1148 March 17, 2011
I rarely use the machine to actually bake the bread. It's a press and go, dough making machine for me.

rachelib March 17, 2011
I have an older welbilt machine - the machine is big but it only makes a 1lb. loaf. Works fine, but makes an odd shaped loaf (cylindrical). I had to replace the beater twice as I forgot to take it out of the loaf before slicing! The book, "Bread Machine Magic" by LInda Rehberg and Lois Conway is very good and has measurements for welbilt machines.