Working on a recipe for cowboy coffee steak...I'm struggling to find the perfect balance between the brown sugar and coffee grounds...help!

If I do 1/2 c brown sugar and 1/3 c coffee grounds, it's too sweet...when i reverse it, the coffee comes across too strong...is there another mystery ingredient I can add to help out? The rub is simply the sugar and coffee with some salt and pepper. I refuse to give up, because occasionally I'll get a perfect bite, and the mix is so so so good. Grrrrr...

hardlikearmour March 17, 2011

Aliwaks' winning Coffee Rubbed Rib Eye uses a ratio of 3 parts ground coffee to 2 parts brown sugar like your reversed plan. Maybe you just need less of each?

Anna McCool
Anna McCool March 17, 2011

Yeah, I think the addition of other flavors might help too...thanks!

prettyPeas
prettyPeas March 17, 2011

salt?

Anna McCool
Anna McCool March 17, 2011

I already add salt.

prettyPeas
prettyPeas March 17, 2011

Oops, I missed the salt and pepper in the original question, but what my too brief reply didn't indicate is that usually in rubs salt makes up a good percentage of the bulk. For example Alton Brown gave a general 8:3:1:1 ratio of sugar:salt:chili:other herbs/spices. Maybe trying 8:3:2 sugar:salt:coffee, or up the coffee component a bit but keep the sugar:salt ratio about even. I might try adding some chili pepper too--I have used small amounts of coffee in rubs and think it plays well of chili, especially smoky ones like chipotle, or mildish ones like aleppo.

Anna McCool
Anna McCool March 17, 2011

Ah- thanks, that helps!!