A question about a recipe: Triple Layer Mousse

I have a question about the recipe "Triple Layer Mousse" from Erin McDowell. Creme anglaise isn’t listed as an ingredient for the strawberry mousse, but it is in the directions. Is this supposed to contain cremation anglaise? If so, how much? If not, what are the correct directions?

• Posted by: JJ
  • December 31, 2018
1b391cb3 92a9 4b64 a823 e213b731c3bd  2016 0118 baking basics mousse bobbi lin 034
Recipe question for: Triple Layer Mousse

Nancy January 2, 2019

Similar to carpenters' rule, to measure twice and cut once.
Read the recipe thoroughly, at least once, maybe twice...for ingredients, timing (on bread or fancy entrees, sometimes need to start day before serving), method,
Here (and in some other sites), also read the comments for ideas, success, problems other cooks have encountered.
In this recipe, there is a link in the introduction to a creme anglaise recipe.

JJ
JJ January 2, 2019

Well, please feel free to read the actual question twice. This pertains to the strawberry mousse specifically, which, unlike the vanilla mousse, does not list creme anglaise as an ingredient. If you have a useful answer to the question instead of a snarky one, I would appreciate hearing it.

Nancy January 2, 2019

You're right.
I was wrong.

creamtea January 2, 2019

I suspect in step 18, that strawberry purée was the intended ingredient rather than crème anglaise but I do hope that author, the redoubtable Erin McDowell :) , will be able to answer personally.

BakerRB
BakerRB January 5, 2019

I think step 18 is supposed to be stir the gelatin into the strawberry puree, not into a second portion of creme anglaise.