What to serve for a brunch crowd - adults and children?

I'm hosting a garage sale at my house tomorrow morning for our girl scout troop and promised to provide food as incentive for parents to stick around and help. What can I serve a fairly big crowd that will please parents and kids milling in and out of the house? I'm fine making up to 4 things but it would be great if at least two of them were one pot or casserole like things...Thanks for any ideas and recipes!

Helen's All Night Diner

Last year I had a brunch for Mother's Day to include both my family & my in-laws. I made a terrine with layers of salmon mouse, scallop mouse, and scallop mixed with pureed peas. It was beautiful and a huge hit. Easy to make ahead and serve chilled.

Burnt Offerings
Burnt Offerings March 18, 2011

Can't go wrong with a savory bread pudding or strata. You make it the night before, pop it in the oven, and voila. There's a good one here: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I like to make one with crabmeat, goat cheese, and red peppers, but it's $$$ for a crowd and kids might not like it.

EmilyC
EmilyC March 18, 2011

My mom hosted a brunch the morning after my wedding for about 30 people, and she did egg casserole, raisin scones with lemon butter, and lots of fresh fruit. The egg casserole can be prepared the night before, and depending on your numbers, you can make several extra pans without much additional effort. If you're not a scone person, you could do muffins or some type of quick bread.

littleknitter
littleknitter March 18, 2011

You could also try a large quiche (or many smaller ones, made in muffin tins), fruit salad, a frittata, or scones.

clintonhillbilly
clintonhillbilly March 18, 2011

my great-grandmother's recipe for steamed dumplings with blueberry sauce is posted on this website. it's some work but a great brunch item and especially good for kids. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Otherwise, I second the egg casserole! I don't have a recipe but I had one once that was really good that involved soaking french bread in egg and I think milk overnight, with green chiles, and dollops of cream cheese on top before baking. Delicious.

Burnt Offerings
Burnt Offerings March 18, 2011

Oh! I forgot to mention an easy crock pot casserole. Brown up a pound of bulk sausage into crumbles, get a package of frozen hash brown and thaw them, and saute one large onion, red pepper and green pepper in a few TBL of butter. Grated two cups of cheddar. Whisk a dozen eggs and 1/4 cup of milk or 1/2 and 1/2. Add 11/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
Layer a third of the sausage, hash browns and onion mixture into a 5-6 quart slow cooker in 3 layers. Save a 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese for the top. Pour the egg mixture over all and scatter the rest of the cheese on top. Cook it on LOW for 8-9 hours and you have an easy overnight breakfast casserole.

sscoville
sscoville March 18, 2011

Quiche is always good and easy as are frittata's. Fruit salad is always a hit with the kids. As are any muffins with chocolate chips in them.

pierino March 18, 2011

I had to do this yesterday for St. Patrick's and one of the dishes was a good old fashioned relish tray with celery, olives, cauliflower florets, carrots and Green Goddess sauce. Minimal prep and easy to present.

Ophelia
Ophelia March 18, 2011

Make muffins the night before and a few different flavours of frittata the day of, you probably know best what should go in for the crowd you are serving, I like bacon and feta.
Or make biscuits and offer sausage and gravy to go with.

dahliat
dahliat March 18, 2011

Scones/biscuits would be great because they are easy to eat without utensils and don't need to be hot out of the oven.

hardlikearmour March 18, 2011

Individual frittatas that you cook in a muffin pan work well. Serve with something sweet like baked french toast or cinnamon rolls. Maybe a citrus salad as well.

ATG117
ATG117 March 18, 2011

Ina Garten has a great baked french toast recipe that's great for serving a crowd. You could also do a jazzed up yogurt (greek or otherwise) with optional various dried fruit, fresh fruit and/or homemade granola toppings. On the savory side, I'd go with a frittata served with, perhaps, hash browns, roasted tomatoes, and a bakery or home baked bread option (accompanied by various spread options).

gigiaxline
gigiaxline March 23, 2011

I'm probably too late to the game [went on vacation, just returned] - but my local Trader Joe's recently made a casserole to feature their new tater tots in the frozen section. Basically: layer tater tots in a casserole dish, break up some sausage or diced up ham over the potatoes, sprinkle some chopped onion if you like, pour 8 scrambled eggs over the mixture, top with cheese and bake. It was very yummy.