A question about a recipe: No-Frills Miso Dressing

I have a question about the recipe "No-Frills Miso Dressing " from Joy Belamarich . Sesame seed oil or toasted sesame oil

F352f3d9 f983 488a 80fe 13aa4571fed8  miso dressing
Recipe question for: No-Frills Miso Dressing

pamelalee
pamelalee January 22, 2019

When a recipe (like this one) calls for sesame seed oil, are we to assume plain sesame seed oil or toasted sesame oil?

Sam corber
Sam corber January 22, 2019

I would definitely suggest toasted. There is already a significant amount of neutral oil in this recipe, so the sesame oil is there to impart flavor.

Nancy January 23, 2019

Agree with Sam.
Pamelalee - two further notes.
When a recipe doesn't specify, I feel free to choose...what I have on hand, like, can find in the store.
When the amount is as small as the sesame oil, I also feel free to try the ingredient a few ways. For example, I've used sesame seeds (plain, toasted, white, black, whole or ground) to replace sesame oil when I don't have any in the house. Or even halva, if it's a sweet recipe or one that can stand a little bit of sweetness.

creamtea January 23, 2019

Like Sam and Nancy, I'd assume toasted. In the video accompanying the recipe, the sesame oil appears darker in tone than a plain oil, suggesting that it is from toasted seeds.