A question about a recipe: Fettuccine Alfredo With Butternut Squash & Mushrooms

I have a question about the recipe "Fettuccine Alfredo With Butternut Squash & Mushrooms" from Ella Quittner. Is it possible to make this on the stove top or would it not cook evenly enough?

• Posted by: Kelsie
  • January 24, 2019
  • 1 Comment

1 Comment

Ella Quittner
Ella Quittner January 24, 2019

Hi Kelsie,

You could totally make something similar on the stovetop. I'd crisp up the mushrooms and set aside, then sauté the onions, deglaze with wine, and add the squash and cream, and simmer until the squash is tender. (Meanwhile, make the pasta in another pot, and then mix into the sauce with the cheese and mushrooms when ready.) In theory you could also cook the noodles straight in the sauce (I do this a lot) but I haven't tested it on the stovetop with these liquid proportions, and it'd be a bit different because there's so little evaporation with the Instant Pot. So in other words, feel free, but just keep an eye on liquid levels as the noodles cook.

Hope this helps!