Have you ever made a bechamel with a non dairy milk?

I want to try to make a lasagna with a non dairy bechamel. Have you done this and if so what milk did you use?

Lori Terwilliger
Lori Terwilliger January 26, 2019

I've made bechamel sauce using soy milk and almond milk, both the unflavored kinds. I'm not vegan, but had family members taking antibiotics- which kind of eliminated dairy products. You don't have to make any adjustments as far as the amount of butter or flour, and both made tasty versions. In fact, I would say the almond milk version was one of my favorites. It brought an almost nutty underscore to the sauce, which you obviously don't get with regular milk. The soy milk version was also acceptable. I used the almond milk version for a lasagna, and the soy milk version for a "creamed" sauce for spinach. My family ate all of them and voiced no complaints. We are not vegan, so I did use butter- but I think you could easily use a vegan margarine without problems.

Stephanie G
Stephanie G January 26, 2019

Awesome! Thank you Lori!

MtAdventurer
MtAdventurer January 26, 2019

Not exactly milk sub, but I often sub cashew cream for whole milk or heavy cream. I make the cashew cream in a Vitamix: cover 1-2 cups of cashew by 1-2 inches depending on how thick you want it and what kind of container. With a Vitamix (or Blendtec, etc.) you do not need to soak the cashews. Cashew cream will thicken when heated so you don't usually need additional flour. For a béchamel with cashew cream, I might add a bit of nutritional yeast, or some ghee or ??? taste and see what you think if you go this way.

Stephanie G
Stephanie G January 27, 2019

Awesome! I actually have some cashew cream in the fridge right now! It has a little sweetness from maple syrup...wondering if I can overcome it.

spiffypaws
spiffypaws January 26, 2019

I've used chicken stock as a sub for milk. I actually like it better than versions with milk. I've used it in lasagna and mac and cheese.

boulangere January 28, 2019

I am allergic to both nuts and cow's milk. I've also used various stocks in place of milk with great results. 💋

Ttrockwood
Ttrockwood January 26, 2019

+1 for using cashew cream
Soak cashews, i pour boiling water over, once it’s room temp to touch they’re good to go. Drain of water. Then blend together with salt, spices, a bit of lemon juice and add water to get the texture you want. For a cup finished cashew cream start with about 3/4 raw cashews. Must be raw cashews (not roasted) to get a smooth texture.
Works great for lasagna, or about anywhere you need a dairy free thick cream

Tryumph
Tryumph January 27, 2019

We're lactose intolerant, so we use unsweetened almond milk all the time. Makes a very acceptable bechamel.

Imogen
Imogen January 27, 2019

I did this on Friday night with almond milk and earth balance margarine; it worked out fine. I have also had success with soy milk.
I would add to make sure you buy the "unsweetened" variety of whatever milk you use rather than the "original" variety. "Original" doesn't sound like it should be terribly sweet, but sometimes it is, and it makes a weird sauce. I find that almond milk in particular is naturally sweeter than its dairy counterpart. Try soy, or better yet, oat milk, if this offends your palate.

Stephanie G
Stephanie G January 27, 2019

Thank you Imogen!