Alternatives for a Bain Marie in making Cheesecake

Recently had another failure in baking a cheesecake (NYC style) from leaking into my springform pan inside a Bain Marie. I am wondering if I could use a 9" cake pan filled with boiling water on the rack beneath my cheesecake as it bakes and achieve similar results to using a Bain Marie? I am aware that there are things such as "slow cooker liners'' but they're not available where I live. Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance - Greg

Greg
  • Posted by: Greg
  • January 27, 2019

JP January 28, 2019
I always wrap my springform pan with aluminum foil before putting it in a water bath..

Greg January 29, 2019
Thank you.... I do the same but sometimes it rips/tears and water gets in. No one has actually answered my question...

"I am wondering if I could use a 9" cake pan filled with boiling water on the rack beneath my cheesecake as it bakes and achieve similar results to using a Bain Marie?"

Smaug January 29, 2019
No. The Bain Marie regulates the temperature of the pan, keeping hot spots from developing.

Clotield November 9, 2019
Hi Greg, i have made cheesecakes using a 9x13 pan full of water on the rack beneath the cheesecake with excellent results. I have never seen a difference than when I bake using a Bain Marie

boulangere January 28, 2019
You can totally ditch the springform pan. I love teaching that to cheesecake bakers. \

https://thesolitarycook.wordpress.com/2012/05/27/mango-cheesecake-the-baking/
https://thesolitarycook.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/cappuccino-baileys-cheesecake/

Nancy January 29, 2019
Wonderful! So this is how the regular pan works! Will change my baking..this makes sense. Thank you.

Jennifer W. January 28, 2019
Personally, I've never used a water bath for my NY Cheesecake and its fantastic. I have a "famous" no fail, frequently requested family recipe if you're interested.

Nancy January 27, 2019
I have not had this problem, but have read about a couple solutions...while still using the water-bath (which evens out the heat and cooking).
One is to bake the cheesecake in a round regular pan (whether made of metal or silicone) and so avoid the problem of the leaking spring-form pan.
But then serving is hard...you have to scoop out at least the first and maybe other servings.
Another is to wrap the spring-form pan in plastic food wrap and/or foil before putting it in the bain-marie.
Reduces or eliminates water getting into cheesecake & still easy to serve.
A third was to buy and use a spring-form made of silicone (reputedly leaks less or not at all).
Have a look around for more info, and see if one of these approaches works for you.

Smaug January 27, 2019
I wonder what ever happened to cheesecake pans- one piece pans about 3" deep made specifically for cooking cheesecakes in a BainMarie (no removable bottoms, very round corners)- they used to be fairly easy to come across. There are cheesecakes that bake dry too, I'm sure I saw a recipe here recently with a sour cream topping; or see Maida Heatter's (she seems to have covered everything) Cream Cheese Pie from her Book of Great Desserts.