A question about a recipe: Fully Loaded Baked Potatoes With Mushroom Bacon & Garlicky Greek Yogurt

I have a question about the recipe "Fully Loaded Baked Potatoes With Mushroom Bacon & Garlicky Greek Yogurt" from Ella Quittner. How much bacon & when does it get added?

boulangere February 6, 2019

And either a comma is also a missing ingredient in the title, or Mushroom Bacon is a new "thing".

SMSF
SMSF February 6, 2019

From the recipe it appears that the roasted/crisped mushrooms are supposed to mimic bacon, and that there's no actual bacon in this dish. Mushroom "bacon."

Jarilyn Kress
Jarilyn Kress February 7, 2019

Thank you very much!

Ella Quittner
Ella Quittner February 7, 2019

Hi,

That's correct! It's "bacon" made of mushrooms. I hope you enjoy the dish :)

Ella

boulangere February 7, 2019

Sorry, but I'm not getting what makes the mushrooms "bacon" as opposed to crispy mushrooms. Where is the smoky flavor? Maybe add some smoked paprika, use a smoked salt with them, or even use chipotle chili powder rather than cayenne.

Kris Housing
Kris Housing February 7, 2019

Hello. I have a spouse that has a really really bad allergy to mushrooms, is it possible to use really bacon or vegan “bacon”? Thanks

Ella Quittner
Ella Quittner February 8, 2019

Hi Kris,

Yes, definitely! Feel free to swap in any bacon or vegan bacon. Just skip the step where you make the mushroom "bacon" and add your bacon at the end as garnish :)

Ella