🔕 🔔

Bacon drippings or melted butter to roast a chicken

Getting ready to roast a couple of chickens with root vegetables; wondering if I should brush the chickens with bacon drippings or melted butter?

asked by Pepperjam over 2 years ago

Both? :-) I don't usually brush the chicken before I roast it. I like to tuck some butter or extra flavoring under the skin and inside the cavity to season the meat because the flavoring on the outside will not penetrate the meat inside.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Neither would also be fine. There are plenty of great roast chickens with nice crispy skins that haven't had any additional oils brushed over them.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Butter or neither, just use a good quality chicken. Bacon tends to dominate - I think it could mask the chicken's more understated flavor and hijack the dish. Maybe roast your root vegetables separately with a little bacon fat, if you want that flavor in the meal too.