Short grain brown rice in a risotto?

Can I substitute short grain brown rice for arborio (with additional liquid) in a risotto recipe, or will it take forever to cook?

asked by Fifer over 7 years ago

Burnt Offerings

It will take longer, but not forever. :-) Just make sure the individual grains get well coated in the oil before you add the wine or stock. Should be lovely. I make risotto out of all kinds of starchy grains: barley, farro, bamboo rice, red rice....

SpecialSka

You can make almost any grain risotto-style, so go for it. I don't think it would take that much longer than with arborio rice, but probably would need more liquid. I have not tried brown rice this way, but have used other types of rice and pasta.

gingerroot

You can substitute short grain brown rice for arborio to make risotto. The brown rice adds a lovely nutty flavor, although you do sacrifice some of the creaminess. In my experience, it does not take that much longer than regular risotto. I'm including a link to the recipe for brown rice risotto that I posted a while back: http://bit.ly/hf6bfF

What an interesting idea. Non-arborio grains yield all sorts of different risottos. Yes, you do sacrifice some of the "creaminess", but you gain on the flavor-texture end. Definitely have extra stock on hand (I always have extra available because for some reason, my risotto always seems to need more than any recipe calls for - don't know why, but there you have it). It's all a science experiment. Please be sure to post your end result to the contest!

littleknitter

I've done it before and it's really nice - I love the nutty flavor! You do have to cook it for longer, but what I've done before is to par-cook the rice beforehand so that when I'm standing over the stove and stirring, I won't have to spend quite as much time there.