Duck eggs

Other than in size, how do they differ from hen eggs? My Indian Runner ducks just laid their first dozen.

boulangere March 21, 2011

I so envy you! The average size large chicken egg weighs 1.66 fluid ounces. Crack open a few of yours and see what they average, then adjust accordingly for baking. Duck eggs are so delicious and you are so lucky to have such bounty!

littleknitter
littleknitter March 21, 2011

The yolks are a lot richer than duck eggs and the overall taste is stronger. I'm definitely jealous of your ducks and their eggs :-) Lucky you!

thirschfeld
thirschfeld March 21, 2011

I raise ducks as and have two Khaki Campbells that lay regularly and the eggs are great for baking also you will get no better custards/creme brulees/pot de creme than if you use duck eggs. I also find that home made pasta made with duck eggs to be far superior as well. The yolks are generally bigger and you notice less exterior white/albumen which makes them great for poaching. I think Indian Runners lay smaller eggs so weighing one or two, because I know they can be different sizes from the same bird, is always a good idea

Hark
Hark March 21, 2011

they seem to bond ingredients in baked dishes a little better (the consistency is a little gluey-er). But they make fantastic simple scrambled eggs.

Ophelia
Ophelia March 21, 2011

Sunny side up or poached over braised greens with a sprinkling of cracklins or bacon. Way better with duck eggs than with chicken because the yolk is bigger and a little creamier.

pierino March 21, 2011

I have to up the ante for myself because I just found a source for goose eggs, but I can't put any to use until I finally get home on Sunday. I'm thinking noodles. Japanese or Korean...

mainecook61
mainecook61 March 22, 2011

Thanks to all for the good advice. I've already discovered how nice they are in custards. The whites seem more viscous than those of chicken eggs, so it will be interesting to see how they perform in something like an angel food cake. Nothing is more entertaining than those ducks out and about now that's it's (trying to be, it snowed last night) spring in Maine.