I'm in the market for a spaetzle maker. (Not a ricer or food mill.) Any model recommendations?

I normally smear the dough on a cutting board and use a spatula to push it off into the simmering water. This method works great, but I'd like a way to have more uniform/smaller spaetzle. (Ok, and my mother-in-law is coming for a visit and I want my spaetzle to look pretty.) Any suggestions?

boulangere March 21, 2011

I just use a colander and white plastic scraper :)

lakeline
lakeline March 21, 2011

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro...

It is basic but it is PERFECT for what it does. It makes spaetzle quickly and with very little effort! It can be a tiny bit hard to clean but if you are just sure to rinse it or soak it soon after you use it,it will be great. :)

Burnt Offerings
Burnt Offerings March 21, 2011

I'm so glad you asked this question! My sister and I were just talking about it. I use a flat cheese grater held over the water, but I was thinking of investing in something a little more permanent.

lakeline
lakeline March 21, 2011

I've done the colander trick and the cheese grater trick, and while they work, they are much more time-and-effort-consuming than the little Norpro I posted above. For $10 it is VERY worth it to have on hand. That plus my kitchenaid mixer mean making spaetzle is an easy side that I make regularly instead of a difficult one that I make rarely. :)

halfasiangirl
halfasiangirl March 21, 2011

Excellent, that was just the advice I was looking for. Thanks for the rec, lakeline!