Birthday cake request to combine chocolate and lemon...suggestions for how to approach the combination?

(choc cake & lemon frosting? Lemon/vanilla with choc decor?)

asked by puresugar over 7 years ago

littleknitter

Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream that's had lemon zest mixed into it, with a layer of lemon curd in between the innermost cake layers?

I can't say I've ever seen lemon and chocolate combined together in a cake - let us know how it turns out!

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Or a lemon cake with lemon curd and buttercream between the layers and a chocolate ganache frosting all over the outside? Or a dark chocolate cake with lemon mousse between layers and then either chocolate ganache or lemon buttercream on the outside? I feel like you practically can't go wrong with the chocolate lemon combo!

When will the invitations be going out? All ideas sound luscious!

tasty

My father used to make a sweet flourless chocolate cake (so with semisweet choc or 60% something like that) with a really tangy lemon icing made with mostly sugar and lemon juice/zest. The icing was runny and set hard rather than a butter cream type. It was a beautiful combination of rich, sweet fudgy cake and lemon tang, but not overpowering.

cdlc

i recently made an martha stewart cake that had yellow cake with orange curd in between layers with ganache frosting, it was amazing. i used my meyer lemons in combination with the orange but i bet it would taste fabulous with just the meyer lemons! meyer lemons already have an orange taste to them and are not too over powering in flavor.

Laura Minkler

I imagine, like tasty, that a dense cake would be great-- as the 2 are such decisive flavors, I'd run with that fact and go for a flourless chocolate w/ lemon or lemon pound cake with chocolate ganache. good luck!

beyondcelery

I'll second tasty's suggestion to combine a rich chocolate cake with tangy lemon icing. That's exactly what I did when I made my wedding cake, then filled the cake with raspberries that I soaked in limoncello. You can see the recipe on my profile page. I toned down the lemon in my icing slightly to accommodate certain people's tastes, but you could increase its tang with grated lemon zest if you want more lemon flavor.

ATG117

I would make a yellow cake accented with a bunch of lemon zest, then frost with a chocolate fudge frosting. I'd say you could make a lemon simple syrup to brush the cake with if you'd like to increase the lemon flavor. I have not necessarily seen this, but I'm taking inspirration from an orange/chocolate combination, which I think is delicious.

chocolatepistachiocheesecake

Devil's Food Cupcakes filled from the bottom,So that the middle is full of cream cheese frosting (made with freshly squeezed lemons), Top them with chocolate ganache.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I like the cupcake idea. I would do white chocolate cupcakes with mini lemon jellybeans folded into the batter. For frosting I would do red velvet: plain vanilla buttercream with a few teaspoons of cocoa and some raspberries thrown in at the last minute, just long enough to get broken up, to add red color naturally (and texture). All those flavors would compliment each other and not be too in-your-face.

Ophelia

One of the best cakes I've had was lemon poppyseed cake layered with marmalade and frosted with dark chocolate ganache.

Stockout

A chocolate cake with a lemon filling between the layers...YUM

Erinmc

We are making a Spongebob Square Pants cake. The Birthday boy (age 5) requested lemon. So, we are making a white cake with lemon curd between the layers. The yellow body will be lemon buttercream and the brown pants will be whipped ganache. If you whip the ganache it makes a fluffy frosting that is perfect for Chewbacca cakes too! I’m speaking from experience!