Lemon Frosting

I am making mini cupcakes for a baby shower and I was planning on doing vanilla cupcakes, half with chocolate ganache and the other half with a lemon frosting. Any suggestions for how to make a lemony frosting?

boulangere March 22, 2013

Go ahead and make a conventional buttercream, and add some finely grated lemon zest - very finely grated, as with a Microplane. Sounds like some lovely flavors!

Voted the Best Reply!

sdebrango March 22, 2013

I agree with Cynthia, it would be wonderful. You could also consider a cream cheese icing and add lemon zest to that. I use 8 oz room temperature cream cheese, 8 oz room temperaure butter, 3 cups confectioners sugar, lemon zest. Cream the butter and cream cheese, add the sugar and lemon zest and beat until smooth and a spreadable consistency, If too thick add a tsp or two of milk or even some freshly squeezed lemon juice.

boulangere March 22, 2013

Yum, Suzanne!

SeaJambon
SeaJambon March 23, 2013

If you really want to "lemon it up", add a bit (1 tsp or less) of Lemon Oil to your buttercream or cream cheese frosting.