🔕 🔔

how to thicken a crab bisque

I am making a crab bisque, but it doesn't seem thick enough - how can I thicken it ( I did start off the bisque w/ a roux but maybe I added too much stock in proportion to the roux?)

asked by LazizaBites over 6 years ago

You can make a bit more roux in a little sauce pan and add it in, I'd do that if it was a roux thickened soup to begin with.

D59461b7 d3e0 4d2a bad5 68f1264f5676  image

that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it would clump up in the already done soup.

Take a tablespoon of flour and mix it with a tablespoon of room temp unsalted butter and add that to the bisque to thicken it the way the French do it. So good. Once it bubbles turn it off and serve.

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

Wondra flour is great for correcting thicknesses of sauces. Just sprinkle in a little at a time, stirring all the while.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Beurre manie - half butter, half flour mixed together. Add a little at a time. (Classic French method used to thicken sauces, though I don't see why you couldn't use it for a roux-based soup as well.)

thanks for your responses! I ended up making a separate roux and added it back in,,, worked out well. I will also check out wondra flour to keep in my pantry -