how to thicken a crab bisque

I am making a crab bisque, but it doesn't seem thick enough - how can I thicken it ( I did start off the bisque w/ a roux but maybe I added too much stock in proportion to the roux?)

asked by LazizaBites over 7 years ago

nutcakes

You can make a bit more roux in a little sauce pan and add it in, I'd do that if it was a roux thickened soup to begin with.

LazizaBites

that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it would clump up in the already done soup.

Ben Thompson

This is a little late, but it might help you in the future. You can use a roux to thicken at any stage, the key to using it late stage is that you want the roux to be cool, and when you go to use it, ladle some of the hot broth, bisque, stew, whatever you thickening into the roux, use a whisk to mix it up, so that it's kind of creamy in texture, then add it back into what you're thickening. This will both activate the roux's thickening property, as well as stop it from clumping.... I'm a Chef, so this is legitimate technique. In fact when you use roux in soups, sauces, bisque, stews, this is the method which you should use, as to prevent clumping. Unless of course you're making a roux by combining flour with lipid that already has mirepoix in it.

Stockout

Take a tablespoon of flour and mix it with a tablespoon of room temp unsalted butter and add that to the bisque to thicken it the way the French do it. So good. Once it bubbles turn it off and serve.

Helen's All Night Diner

Wondra flour is great for correcting thicknesses of sauces. Just sprinkle in a little at a time, stirring all the while.

Beurre manie - half butter, half flour mixed together. Add a little at a time. (Classic French method used to thicken sauces, though I don't see why you couldn't use it for a roux-based soup as well.)

LazizaBites

thanks for your responses! I ended up making a separate roux and added it back in,,, worked out well. I will also check out wondra flour to keep in my pantry -

Debby

Hi. How did you make your additional roux

Simplyaok

Wondra flour is magical!!