Need the word for the process of whisking egg yolks and acid to form the ribbon stage before adding the fat

What is the correct term for the base of egg yolk and acid that is whisked to form bearnaise or hollandaise? Just the yolk and acid when before you begin to rehab emulsify... French word starts with an S.... anyone?



CookIntheNook June 20, 2019
Lori T. June 20, 2019
Are you referring to a sabayon? Or what is known as zabaglione in Italian? They are not the name of the process, but the product. The process of mixing the egg or yolk with the acid correctly is simply ribboning. It's the first step in making an emulsified sauce of many types. If you stop at just the butter and acid, what you have is a beurre meuniere.
Recommended by Food52