mac and cheese

I just came across a bobby flay "mac and cheese " recipe. It call for egg yolks to be added to the traditional bechamel based cheese sauce. I've noticed egg yolks in other (southern?) recipes. What would be the advantages or disadvantaged to adding egg yolks to the bechamel mixture? How does it affect the final product vs. doing it the traditional way without. I'd be using two types of sharp cheddar, fontina, and gruyere

asked by ATG117 almost 7 years ago

As you know, classic bechamel doesn't contain eggs....and I've never added them to mac & cheese, but I have made moussaka where you basically make a bechamel with egg yolks added for the topping. It makes the baked texture richer and more custardy, as you'd imagine. (Btw, cheddar, fontina and gruyere are a great combo for mac & cheese!)