Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

mac and cheese

I just came across a bobby flay "mac and cheese " recipe. It call for egg yolks to be added to the traditional bechamel based cheese sauce. I've noticed egg yolks in other (southern?) recipes. What would be the advantages or disadvantaged to adding egg yolks to the bechamel mixture? How does it affect the final product vs. doing it the traditional way without. I'd be using two types of sharp cheddar, fontina, and gruyere

asked by ATG117 about 5 years ago
1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

As you know, classic bechamel doesn't contain eggs....and I've never added them to mac & cheese, but I have made moussaka where you basically make a bechamel with egg yolks added for the topping. It makes the baked texture richer and more custardy, as you'd imagine. (Btw, cheddar, fontina and gruyere are a great combo for mac & cheese!)