Will cooked quinoa be ok outside fridge for upto 48 hrs? If not, any suggestions on what other cooked grain would be ok outside fridge for upto 48 hrs

• Posted by: Jusika
  • October 9, 2019

boulangere October 9, 2019
First: what is important about 48 hours? Second: no. Bread is safe at room temperature because it is so low in moisture that it is difficult for bacteria to grow in it. And hopefully you consume it before it either goes stale or grown mold. But it will take some time for either to happen. Not so with basically any other food, including grains. Grains, and especially rices, are susceptible to growth of bacillus cereus, which, depending on its source, can cause either diarrhea or vomiting. In the end, there is no food (other than bread and grains in their dry state) which is safe at room temperature for 48 hours. The first rule of the kitchen is: kill no one.

boulangere October 9, 2019
Okay, that said, I live in a climate where I am grateful for my garage, AKA walk-out cold storage after about the beginning of October. If you can safely cover your quinoa completely (C.O.M.P.L.E.T.E.L.Y) and set it in an enclosed area such as a garage whose 24-hour temperature is no warmer than 40 degrees, you could be okay. If not, don't.