How many days can my turkey sit thawed in the fridge?

I just picked up my turkey this morning. It is fresh, not frozen. What’s the best way to keep it? Brining? Is just sitting in the fridge ok?

• Posted by: Rachel
  • November 23, 2019

Gammy November 24, 2019
I always set my turkey on a rimmed baking sheet to catch and contain the inevitable juices that may leak out.

Lisa F. November 24, 2019
The easiest and safest way to defrost your turkey is in the refrigerator (kept at 40°F). Our golden rule: 1 day of thawing in the refrigerator for every 4 pounds.

(So if you have a 15-pound bird, then you’ll need to start defrosting nearly four days in advance to be on the safe side.)

Make sure to place the wrapped turkey breast-side up on a tray near the back of the refrigerator, where it will remain consistently cold. You might also want to keep it on a bottom shelf to prevent contamination from leakage. Once your bird has thawed, cook it within the next 4 days.