Just made Carrot Ginger soup (from Weelicious). Too salty. Added cream. Dont want it too thin. Any advice to de-salt?

nutcakes
nutcakes March 27, 2011

You can't really desalt things, in my opinion. but you can dilute them. In this case if you have the ingredients onhand, make another batch with no added salt, combine. Taste and add salt a tiny bit at a time, if needed. Another thing you can do is to chunk up a potato or two and cook in the soup, then puree together. The added bulk of the unsalted potato will go a long way to diluting the salt; your soup will be nice tasting and thick, but less carrot-y. (Some people think that cooking potato in soup then removing and discarding will absorb salt, I disagree, it absorbs broth, but if you think it works, go for it.)

Sam1148 March 28, 2011

The above is good. But adding some lime juice might make the salt work well with the carrot and ginger. It could curdle the creme tho..so add it as a garnish.

ChefAlina
ChefAlina March 28, 2011

I have also made this soup and it came out perfect for me. Did you use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock? If you did, was either stock low sodium? That makes a difference in flavor since 1 tsp of kosher salt is not a lot for the soup. :) Also, the potato suggestion is good since potato absorbs salt.

FoodieGoesHealthy
FoodieGoesHealthy March 29, 2011

Try adding some cooked potato puree.

tizzle
tizzle March 29, 2011

I've read before that if you add a piece of cut potato (like maybe half of a medium potato), it will absorb the salt in a dish. Never tried it, though.