Thanksgiving soup recipe, New England, with strings attached.

We have soup night, day before thanksgiving, in portsmouth NH. I make a soup served alongside a local fish chowder. Done cream of carrot ginger, squash and the like to offset chowder. and were Irish. AND there's a citric acid allergy. Thoughts?

• Posted by: csheago
  • September 19, 2013

Voted the Best Reply!

JanetFL
JanetFL September 19, 2013

Good timing! Food52 is doing a contest "Your best autumn soup". Click on the "contests" tab and then click on "your best autumn soup". I don't think you'll be disappointed! I already have at least three soups that I will be trying in anticipation of the holidays.

Maedl September 19, 2013

Cream of peanut soup--according to Kings Arms Tavern in Wiliamsburg, it was one of George Washington's favorite.

ChefJune September 19, 2013

I don't think I'd pair another cream soup along with chowder, but if you want to do it anyway, this Cream of Garlic Soup is easy, tasty and a bit different. http://food52.com/recipes... I recommend roasting the garlic first for great depth of flavor.

Pegeen September 19, 2013

A vegetable soup in a thin beef/tomato broth would be a good offset to a New England chowdah. Maybe spicy? Just type "vegetable soup" in the Search box, choose "In Recipes" from the pull-down menu, and click the Search magnifying class. There are many great ones to choose from.

irinaleibo
irinaleibo September 19, 2013

Pumpkin Sage soup from Gourmet back in the 80's. Fantastic.
I lost the recipe but still make it every year from memory.
Cheers
irina

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 19, 2013

How about Cheddar and Ale Soup?

David
David September 19, 2013

This is one of my favorite recipes I've tried from here.
It's time consuming to make but improves with age so you could make it a day or two before.

amysarah September 19, 2013

With a chowder on the menu, I'd go for a non-creamy soup, with a different sort of flavor. An Italian Wedding Soup would be good - very hearty, with small meatballs, escarole, and parmesan egg drops (stracciatella); you can also add some small soup pasta, like tubetti, if you like. Here's Giada de Laurentiis' version: http://www.foodnetwork...

MTMitchell
MTMitchell September 19, 2013

Mulligatawny...? Not New England-y but a good hearty soup that might complement the chowder. I've made this before -- it was really good. If there's a citric acid issue you may want to leave out the lemon juice. http://www.saveur.com/article...

Pegeen September 20, 2013

csheago, Do you offer both soups together at both meals? If not, you could do a lamb or beef stew (for the Irish component) the day before, and serve the Chowdah (which sounds like a Thanksgiving tradition for your family and clams were Pilgrim fare!) with your Thanksgiving meal.

csheago
csheago September 21, 2013

We serve both together night before. Tradition started as a laid back welcome and easy meal we could keep in crock pots with a few other accompaniments as people arrived from out of town. If you got in late, as I usually did coming from NYC at the time, there was still a hot yummy meal waiting. Now, older and most with family's, we are usually settled day before and it's just become soup night that hosts extended family as well that don't attend thanksgiving proper. Thrilled at all the responses, thank you.