🔕 🔔

Thanksgiving soup recipe, New England, with strings attached.

We have soup night, day before thanksgiving, in portsmouth NH. I make a soup served alongside a local fish chowder. Done cream of carrot ginger, squash and the like to offset chowder. and were Irish. AND there's a citric acid allergy. Thoughts?

asked by csheago about 4 years ago

Cream of peanut soup--according to Kings Arms Tavern in Wiliamsburg, it was one of George Washington's favorite.

I don't think I'd pair another cream soup along with chowder, but if you want to do it anyway, this Cream of Garlic Soup is easy, tasty and a bit different. http://food52.com/recipes... I recommend roasting the garlic first for great depth of flavor.

A vegetable soup in a thin beef/tomato broth would be a good offset to a New England chowdah. Maybe spicy? Just type "vegetable soup" in the Search box, choose "In Recipes" from the pull-down menu, and click the Search magnifying class. There are many great ones to choose from.

Pumpkin Sage soup from Gourmet back in the 80's. Fantastic.
I lost the recipe but still make it every year from memory.
Cheers
irina

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

How about Cheddar and Ale Soup?

This is one of my favorite recipes I've tried from here.
It's time consuming to make but improves with age so you could make it a day or two before.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

With a chowder on the menu, I'd go for a non-creamy soup, with a different sort of flavor. An Italian Wedding Soup would be good - very hearty, with small meatballs, escarole, and parmesan egg drops (stracciatella); you can also add some small soup pasta, like tubetti, if you like. Here's Giada de Laurentiis' version: http://www.foodnetwork...

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

Mulligatawny...? Not New England-y but a good hearty soup that might complement the chowder. I've made this before -- it was really good. If there's a citric acid issue you may want to leave out the lemon juice. http://www.saveur.com/article...

csheago, Do you offer both soups together at both meals? If not, you could do a lamb or beef stew (for the Irish component) the day before, and serve the Chowdah (which sounds like a Thanksgiving tradition for your family and clams were Pilgrim fare!) with your Thanksgiving meal.

E34a4afb 23bf 4c16 94dd c3a24505f968  cameraawesomephoto

We serve both together night before. Tradition started as a laid back welcome and easy meal we could keep in crock pots with a few other accompaniments as people arrived from out of town. If you got in late, as I usually did coming from NYC at the time, there was still a hot yummy meal waiting. Now, older and most with family's, we are usually settled day before and it's just become soup night that hosts extended family as well that don't attend thanksgiving proper. Thrilled at all the responses, thank you.