Have to design a buffet supper for 100 people at our Yacht Club in Maine in late July.

Want to anchor the table with smoked hams.
Need other ideas

JenniferJuniper
JenniferJuniper March 28, 2011

I suggest seasonal side dishes - corn and tomatoes should be very good that time of year in Maine. You could offer corn on the cob with an herb butter or a fresh corn salad. Multi colored heirloom tomatoes slices layered with basil and dressed with olive oil and sea salt would be nice.

Sam1148 March 28, 2011

A pineapple salsa for the hams as a side bowl, I like the corn salad idea jennifer mentioned,Amanda's Shaved Brussel sprouts slaw, A shrimp boil is standard for a buffet, replace one of the hams with a prime rib for those that don't eat pork, blanched green beans (whole tender ones, with a toss of garlic and rosemary infused oil--served at room temp--, parm cheese, bread crumbs optional), A cobb salad (with turkey and bacon, and chopped eggs on the side), mini biscuits (cheese optional), Salmon with dill and lemon, melon slices, and some other hearty vegetarian dish...Baba ghanoush maybe?

boulangere March 28, 2011

I agree, go for seasonal! Corn salad can be taken in many directions, maybe think about some grain-based salads for vegetarians (look through the Bulk Bin submissions for some wonderful ideas). How much latitude does your budget give you?

usuba dashi
usuba dashi March 28, 2011

There is only one thing that time of year to do in Maine . . a proper clam bake, lobster, etc. May sound boring, but if done correctly, can be the MOST appreciated buffet. I know, I have been to many in New England and catered a few myself.

Liza English Nevin
Liza English Nevin March 28, 2011

Clam bakes are ubiquitous in Maine in July. Need to find recipes for 100. Have tried the usual internet sources, but need to know how to adapt some of my favorite to accommodate that many people. Going seasonal is the best. Green beans are plentiful that time of year, as is all kinds of lettuces and beets. Too early for tomatoes and corn.

Greenstuff March 28, 2011

I've been waiting for an occasion to make Food52's own Peter Steinberg's corn and tomato salad: http://www.food52.com/recipes... and I think you've beat me to the perfect occasion.

Greenstuff March 28, 2011

Whoops, I see you think it's too early for tomatoes and corn. Are you thinking massive three-bean salad? I'd go in the bean rather than the beet direction in July, even in Maine.

drbabs March 28, 2011

Liza, Merrill got married in Maine last August. Here are some pictures and ideas from her wedding:
http://www.food52.com/blog...

SKK March 28, 2011

Best ever green bean salad with basil and tomatoes - from Shirley Corriher, Cookwise. You can make it a day ahead and toss when ready to serve. This is a sure hit recipe.

Fresh Green Bean Salad With Basil And Tomatoes

Makes 8 servings
1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon salt (4 teaspoons total)
1 recipe garlic-basil dressing (below)
5 firm ripe tomatoes, sliced
4 sprigs fresh basil for garnish
Trim the stem ends of the green beans (you can leave the pointed tips). Halve the longer ones if you wish.
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. While the water's heating, fill a large bowl with ice water (using at least a dozen cubes of ice). Once the water boils, add the beans and cook briefly: 1 or 2 minutes for tiny haricots, 4 or 5 for bigger beans. Don't walk away. Drain the beans quickly. Then shock them by dumping them in the ice water, agitating them briefly until they are quite cool (about a minute). Then drain again and set aside. They can be refrigerated in a tightly sealed plastic bag for several hours with no loss of color or texture. If you do refrigerate, first dry them extra-thoroughly on a dish towel.
When ready to serve, toss the green beans with 1/3 cup of the dressing in a large mixing bowl. Taste and add more dressing or salt as needed. Pile the beans high in the center of a large white platter. Arrange the tomato slices overlapping around the edge. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt, and drizzle 3 tablespoons of the dressing on top of them. Garnish with the basil sprigs. Serve immediately.
Garlic-Basil Dressing
1 clove garlic
1 shallot
2 tablespoons water (keeps dressing green)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup canola, corn or other vegetable oil
15 fresh basil leaves
Turn on the processor with the steel knife and drop the garlic and shallot down the feed tube onto the spinning blade to mince. Add the water, salt, pepper, mustard and sugar. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the oil. Add the basil leaves and coarsely chop with several on/off pulses.

Bevi
Bevi March 28, 2011

Peaches will be in season, and there is an award winning recipe from this site: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
I made this several times, and you can serve with ice cream, cake, or shortcake, or a melba. These are beautiful, have a lovely infusion of basil syrup, and are super easy to put together.

If you opt for corn on the cob instead of a corn salad, smear with a lovely lime/chili butter for some extra zing.

betteirene
betteirene March 29, 2011

I don't suppose this venue would be the place to serve a Steamship Round of Beef accompanied by wedges of Iceberg Lettuce and Potatoes in Their (Life) Jackets. . .

As appetizers with cocktails: Shrimp boats (individual spears of endive or butter lettuce cups filled with a salad of shrimp and avocado); buoys (gougeres--pate choux and blue cheese); rafts (puff pastry squares sprinkled with Parmesan)

Soup: A teacup of lobster bisque

Entree and Sides: Smoked ham; scalloped potatoes with local cheddar; whole roasted green beans; fresh shelled peas (or sugar pods) flash-sauteed in cream; zucchini boats (3”-4” zucchini halved lengthwise stuffed with cornbread stuffing and baked until heated through but not soft); Anadama bread or spoon bread studded with diced red pepper and just-picked sage.

Dessert: A compote of fresh summer fruit with biscuit mini-shortcakes and whipped cream

Because it's summer and because the hams are salty, cheesy scalloped potaoes might be too heavy for this meal--maybe something lighter and more refreshing like a red-potato salad with sour cream and chives. And tuck a sorbet of wild blueberries somewhere in there to cleanse the palate.

Bevi
Bevi March 29, 2011

Raw bar?

Liza English Nevin
Liza English Nevin March 29, 2011

Thanks Betteirene: What a great response!
I am looking for a recipe for 100 that doesn't start with a can of soup and Velveeta cheese.
Does anyone know how to take a recipe for 8 and increase it to 100?
Is there a formula? I don't think you can do that with every recipe. Where can I get help with that?
Many, many thanks all

Liza English Nevin
Liza English Nevin March 29, 2011

SKK: Great idea. You were very kind to take the time to type it all out for me.
Will print and save for the party.

spiffypaws
spiffypaws March 29, 2011

Grilled, marinated chicken, potato salad, a pasta salad. For desert blueberry pie (if wild Maine blueberries are available) or fresh strawberry pie.

Melusine
Melusine March 31, 2011

My Pennsylvania Dutch heritage and Wisconsin upbringing means I make classic German potato salad with its sweet/sour dressing, but I skip adding the bacon when I have the ham. The dressing is cooked, so the salad can stay on the buffet table for a while. I usually make homemade champagne honey mustard. For a buffet, I've also found small whole grain rolls (pre-sliced) work better than biscuits. Favorite recipe for that is on the back of the King Arthur Flour's wheat germ packet. Wonderful bread recipe. A tropical apple salad works nicely with the ham, too.

AntoniaJames April 1, 2011

I don't care where you are (i.e., north or south of the Mason-Dixon line) when you're serving smoked hams . . . you must serve cornbread, no two ways about it. Biscuits, with a variety of interesting mustards, would also be nice. String bean salads are great, but test carefully well in advance to make sure that your dressing doesn't fade their beautiful color, which can happen, quickly, if you're not careful. Go for fresh and juicy with the veggies, and I'd even serve a colorful fruit salad made with a variety of melons and berries. The palate will need it, with the smoked hams. Have fun! ;o)