A tiramisu recipe calls for cooking egg yolks in a dble boiler for 7 min. Is that long enough to kill salmonella?

Ideally, pasteurization takes place at 140 degrees, so if you have a thermometer, shoot for that.

Possibly too long. At 7 minutes you will likely end up with scrambled eggs.

Salmonella will die if you bring your eggs to 160º F, and this is before the point they scramble. The recipe I use has 6 egg yolks mixed with 1/3 cup heavy cream brought to 160º. Do it over gently simmering water, and stir, stir, stir- making sure you are scraping the bottom of the bowl. Once they hit 160º, remove from heat and stir vigorously to start the cooling process then wait until they are room temperature before proceeding w/ the recipe.

usuba dashi

hardlikearmour is correct - 160 is the magic number for 6 log reduction (officially, there is not a 100% lethality kill, but pretty close).

Ophelia

According to "Food Safety is Everybody's Business" which they make you read to get a Food Handler's Card in Washington, eggs only have to get to 145 for 15 seconds to be safe to serve.

usuba dashi

There is a temperature/time schedule that was created by the University of Wisconsin for the USDA-FSIS, that shows if a product being cooked is held at a certain temperature for a certain length of time at a certain humidity, it will reduce the salmonella by a 6 log reduction, which is considered a food safe cooking process. This schedule is followed by USDA for all food safety. If the Food Handler's Card is from that schedule, I would trust it. But, the length of time sounds too short. My experience, dealing with USDA food safety regulation for the last 25 years, tells me it is not a totally science based standard . . . but I could be wrong, since I do not have the Appendix A (U of W chart) in front of me.

Jean | Delightful Repast

I always go for 160 degrees when making any kind of egg custard and do basically what hardlikearmour said. I would not be comfortable with 140, or even 145, degrees.