Has anyone used Starbucks VIA (instant coffee) for baking?

I don't have any espresso powder on hand for a brownie recipe. Would this work as a substitute?

• Posted by: EmilyC
  • March 30, 2011

Abijosiah
Abijosiah March 30, 2011

It wont dissolve like freeze dried coffee as it is micrground but it should just add to the texture of the cake i haven't dried it personally but in cake mix it should be fine

boulangere March 30, 2011

I have a feeling that it's close in texture to Medaglia d'Oro, which I use all the time in baking and custards. Dissolve it in whatever your liquid is, and you should have a wonderful cake!

Delishhh
Delishhh March 30, 2011

I have, it is just like instant coffee, so if your recipe calls for coffee it is perfect. I use it all the time when i make Swedish Chocolate balls - http://delishhh.com/2010/04/14/swedish-chocolate-balls-%e2%80%9cchokladbollar%e2%80%9d/

CookOnTheFly
CookOnTheFly March 31, 2011

I use it as a pinch in brownies if I am out of espresso powder. I just grind it up a bit in a mortar and then add it to the dry ingredients - and use the same amount as espresso powder.

Ophelia
Ophelia March 31, 2011

I've used in in a chocolate cake when I had a free sample floating around the kitchen and it works great substituted 1:1 for espresso powder, in place of folgers coffee crystals (which I use sometimes) Via imparts a more intense coffee flavour.

EmilyC
EmilyC April 1, 2011

Thanks for your responses! I used the French Roast in place of espresso powder in brownies and it worked great! One package of VIA measures out to approximately 1 teaspoon. (And if anyone is looking for a great brownie recipe, these from King Arthur Flour are killer: http://www.kingarthurflour...)