Black peppercorns: Wondering if Penzeys has a particular black peppercorn you prefer. Will be there for another item, and need black pepper.

The options, it seems, are "Whole Special Extra Bold," "Whole Tellicherry Indian" and "Whole Malabar Indian." Thanks, PicklePals! ;o)

Personally I go with the tellicherry but I usually have about five kinds of peppercorns hanging around. While you are at Penzey's you might also want to pick up some Szechuan peppercorns which have a very interesting flavor.

Soozll

I like the Malabar pepper for steeping in saucy stews as well as ground for seasoning while cooking and in a grinder at the table. It has a classic pepper flavor but with good depth and a backnote of gentle heat. Good all purpose black pepper.

I keep Tellicherry and Sichuan peppercorns on hand, but I purchase from Vann's.

innoabrd

I'm a Tellicherry man, myself. Started when we lived in India, but not all pepper grinders are happy with those extra-large peppercorns...

Midge

I love Ecuadoran organic black peppercorns, but they are hotter than most. Not sure if Penzeys carries them, I order them from the Spice House:
http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/ecuadoran-organic-black-peppercorns

DebJ

Yes to Penzy's. I keep on hand white pepper, black/Tellicherry and Szechuan peppercorns.

Tony S

I've tried all three varieties of whole black peppercorns offered by Penzey's. The Extra Bold Indian smell great and do have a great flavor but I do not see that much difference between those and the Tellicherry. Save yourself a few bucks and go with the Tellicherry.

pauljoseph

I don't know about Penzeys but Fresh black pepper is easy to grind and has a superior flavor & aroma both Tellicherry Black Peppercorns and Malabar Black Peppercorns for us almost same http://www.bulkpeppercorns.com/black_peppercorns
AntoniaJames which part of USA are you from My sister is coming to Atlanta Alpharetta soon I can send some fresh Malabar and Tellicherry for you directly from my brother in lows pepper plantation in Malabar