🔕 🔔

Fresh Buffalo

I picked up a gorgeous 3 pound top round sirloin roast from a local buffalo ranch yesterday. Organic, grass fed, super low in fat. Ideas for showing it off to its best advantage?

asked by Burnt Offerings about 6 years ago

Oooooooh, you are SOOOOO lucky! I have a friend who raises bison, so I eat a lot of it. The top round of bison is way different of that from beef; it is amazingly more tender, for one thing. As well, bison has a natural sweetness, said to be because of its high iron content.

How about this: Remove it from the fridge at least an hour, probably 2, before you plan to start cooking it to let it come to room temp. Pan sear it on the stove top or use the barbecue. Season on all sides with s&p as you turn it. Set the oven to 250 degrees. Roast it in the gentle heat until it temps out at about 130 in the center.

Meanwhile, take a look at the root vegetable purée here: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

When the roast is done, remove from oven and drape a couple of heavy towels over it. Let it rest, so the juices can be reabsorbed into the cells, for a good 15-20 minutes.

While it's resting, deglaze the roasting pan with some red wine, and after it has reduced nicely, remove from the heat and swirl in a couple of knobs of cold butter.

Place a nice pool of root vegetable purée in the center of the plate. Set in it a couple of slices of your lovely roast, and drizzle some of that lovely pan sauce over it all. Pour a nice glass of wine. Light a candle. Bon appétit!

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

You are a genius as usual boulangere! I didn't want to throw it in a crock pot, make a pot roast, or use it for stew. I'll make the onion shallot jam too, and there were fresh ramps and morels at the Farmers Market last weekend, so I can get more and make a true Sunday roast out of it.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

ooohhh, ramps...can't wait until Saturday's market. I got there too late last week and they were sold out! Can't agree strongly enough with boulangere's recommendation to let the roast come to temp for 2 hours...S & P will have time to flavor the meat if you do this before cooking. Lucky girl to snag the bison. enjoy!

Mmmmmmmmm! Your feast will be beautiful and full of spring!