Do I need to make any adjustments to this recipe for high altitude baking?

Usually, high altitude baking calls to decrease sugar and/or increase temperature. Since this is a sugar pie I'm wondering if I need to make any adjustments for altitude (above 5,000 feet). Thanks!

Jenny A
  • Posted by: Jenny A
  • November 23, 2020

Miss_Karen November 23, 2020
There is a cookbook called 'Pie in the sky.' By Susan Purdy. She has multiple charts for each recipe. I find it to be a good resource (I live @ 6035') Sometimes I use her recipe for ____ & sometimes I use my own,and look at the charts for tweaking purposes.

Jenny A. November 23, 2020
Super cool! Thanks for sharing, Karen!

Miss_Karen November 23, 2020
You are very welcome. I know it was a huge challenge for me to bake @ high elevation in Colorado Springs instead of Southern California!

Erin S. November 23, 2020
Hello again :)

So our own Emma wrote this handy article last year with lots of helpful suggestions: https://food52.com/blog/24630-high-altitude-baking-adjustments-guide

There's a great chart in that article based on your elevation, but in short, you're definitely on the right track: reduce sugar (up to 3 Tbl. per cup), add liquid (add 1 - 4 Tbl. per cup), increase oven temperature 15°F to 25°F, and decrease baking time by about 5 minutes (per every 30 minutes called for in a recipe).

Let us know how it turns out!

Jenny A. November 23, 2020
Thanks so much, Erin, for your thorough answer & quick reply! I really appreciate it and will let you know how it goes :)

Erin S. November 23, 2020
Hi there!

Ooo—great question! I don't personally have any high altitude baking experience, but I'll definitely find someone who does and get back to you!

Speak soon,
Erin