🔕 🔔

What can I use to replace honey in a bread recipe? Suggestions foodpickle @browneyedbaker @joythebaker

asked by @elizabethmarley about 7 years ago

F7d54c11 5dc4 47e5 bd9d 478fbe5d5efa  ooh

Almost any sweetener will work. I just use sugar in place of honey. (I don't reduce the liquid to compensate; adjust flour/liquid after kneading a few minutes.)

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

molasses gives a nice flavor, or sugar or brown sugar or maple sugar or maple syrup

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Agave syrup is a great substitute, too.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

If honey is used primarily for its sweetening and flavoring properties, substitute an equally flavorful sweetener such as brown sugar, maple syrup or molasses. If honey is used primarily because of its hygroscopic property--its ability to draw moisture from the air into baked goods, which affects texture--you can substitute corn syrup, simple syrup or agave syrup.

C7510721 e177 481e 8125 7c4d04f5c4e8  canposter

I find that if you want to sub honey, use a brown sugar, as bette suggests. I would like to add, that I use a very old recipe for my basic bread dough. And in my process, the "sweet" is critical for feeding the yeast. If you do substitute, watch your yeast closely to make sure it's as active as the recipe requires. You may have to make some adjustments with the second rise.

And yes, I've rescued unriz bread by working in a yeast mixture of scalded milk (cooled), a bit of sugar and yeast. Pour it in the bowl, knead it in then let it rest atop a warm oven.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I also like Lyle's golden syrup as a liquid sweetener. It's a natural cane syrup - a lot of supermarkets carry it now in the International food section (it's a British product).