What can I use to replace honey in a bread recipe? Suggestions foodpickle @browneyedbaker @joythebaker

Serene
Serene September 28, 2010

Almost any sweetener will work. I just use sugar in place of honey. (I don't reduce the liquid to compensate; adjust flour/liquid after kneading a few minutes.)

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks September 28, 2010

molasses gives a nice flavor, or sugar or brown sugar or maple sugar or maple syrup

mrslarkin September 28, 2010

Agave syrup is a great substitute, too.

betteirene
betteirene September 28, 2010

If honey is used primarily for its sweetening and flavoring properties, substitute an equally flavorful sweetener such as brown sugar, maple syrup or molasses. If honey is used primarily because of its hygroscopic property--its ability to draw moisture from the air into baked goods, which affects texture--you can substitute corn syrup, simple syrup or agave syrup.

Christina Ward
Christina Ward September 29, 2010

I find that if you want to sub honey, use a brown sugar, as bette suggests. I would like to add, that I use a very old recipe for my basic bread dough. And in my process, the "sweet" is critical for feeding the yeast. If you do substitute, watch your yeast closely to make sure it's as active as the recipe requires. You may have to make some adjustments with the second rise.

And yes, I've rescued unriz bread by working in a yeast mixture of scalded milk (cooled), a bit of sugar and yeast. Pour it in the bowl, knead it in then let it rest atop a warm oven.

Savorykitchen
Savorykitchen September 29, 2010

I also like Lyle's golden syrup as a liquid sweetener. It's a natural cane syrup - a lot of supermarkets carry it now in the International food section (it's a British product).