What can I make with rye flour that really features the flavor?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 7 years ago

lastnightsdinner

My husband has been baking Michael Ruhlman's caraway rye bread for a few months now and it's fabulous (easy, too, he says): http://ruhlman.com/2011...

Crackers would be great for showing off rye's nutty flavor too -- I haven't tried this recipe (yet), but it looks good! Olive Oil Parmesan Crackers: http://bit.ly/gQ6Rc5

stack

It calls for sourdough leavening, but Daniel Leader has a recipe for "Pierre Nury's Rustic Light Rye" in his Local Breads book that is far and away my favourite rye bread ever.

You can find it online at various baker sites and blogs.

Swedish limpa breads are nice. They are scented with orange and caraway (though I substitute cardamom for the caraway, as I don't care much for the latter). There's an excellent recipe for it in Dolores Casella's "A World of Breads." My mother served it at dinner parties (with other Scandinavian foods) when I was a girl, to rave reviews. Consider, too, incorporating a bit of pumpernickel flour in your rye breads. It is a rough rye and full of flavor. (It is to rye flour what graham is to wheat, but pumpernickel adds even more texture.) I always keep some on hand, and in fact, plan to make some crackers with it later this week. ;o)