How do cook black beans?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 7 years ago

First off: Soak dried black beans overnight. (Or do a quick soak by bringing them up to a boil, then letting them sit for an hour, then rinsing). Then simmer them in water (about 3 parts water to 1 part beans) till they're tender but not falling apart -- this will depend on how fresh the beans are and your soaking time, typically about an hour.

beyondcelery

Add about 1 tsp baking soda to your soaking water and it'll cut down on "bean gas" later. Make sure you rinse off the beans after soaking and cook them in new water.

I do all the above.

IMHO, I do not like mushy beans. As mentioned they shouldn't be falling apart.
But my best application is a black bean soup.
This is normally made with 'mushy beans' in the broth over rice.
I change that and make the beans intact...seasoned.
And a stock. With ham bits.
To plate. Put in a few spoonfuls of cooked rice, top with the cuban flavored beans.
Add the stock. Add some garnish of ham cut in matchstick size on top. And some green bits, like cilantro or parsley.