🔕 🔔

How does one cook Bhutanese red rice? I bought some during a foray into the bulk bins (a favorite past-time) but now need to cook the stuff.

And I do mean "now," as in, "for dinner tonight." Thanks so much, PicklePals! ;o)

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I just cook it like any other rice. It's just a little nuttier or richer than a more typical white or brown variety. I also use if for mixing blends.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

yes, I agree with Greenstuff. I cooked it in my rice cooker, as I do my brown rice. It came out great. Definitely a little more al dente than other rice varieties, but I love it. I bet it makes great fried rice, if you have leftovers.

Oooh, good idea for fried rice, Mrs. L.

I've used it in jambalaya in place of white rice. Color and texture.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Package says 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice - usual method for rice: bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer. Package says 20 minutes, and then let it stand a bit.

Also, I found it to have a slightly sweet profile when I tried it the first time, so I ended up making a dessert with it.