How does one cook Bhutanese red rice? I bought some during a foray into the bulk bins (a favorite past-time) but now need to cook the stuff.

And I do mean "now," as in, "for dinner tonight." Thanks so much, PicklePals! ;o)

I just cook it like any other rice. It's just a little nuttier or richer than a more typical white or brown variety. I also use if for mixing blends.

yes, I agree with Greenstuff. I cooked it in my rice cooker, as I do my brown rice. It came out great. Definitely a little more al dente than other rice varieties, but I love it. I bet it makes great fried rice, if you have leftovers.

Oooh, good idea for fried rice, Mrs. L.

I've used it in jambalaya in place of white rice. Color and texture.

healthierkitchen

Package says 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice - usual method for rice: bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer. Package says 20 minutes, and then let it stand a bit.

healthierkitchen

Also, I found it to have a slightly sweet profile when I tried it the first time, so I ended up making a dessert with it.